Hitchcock Deli

I'd been meaning to post something about Seattle's Hitchcock Deli since I tasted their pastrami a few weeks ago. While I mostly avoid meat for health and ethical reasons, if a place is supposed to have good pastrami, I'll give it a try. And being originally from the east coast, I grew up eating pastrami and know it well. I've eaten Katz's from the lower east side in New York City, and Langer's in Los Angeles( which is really insanely good). But you know what? The pastrami at Hitchcock Deli might be the best I've ever tasted. It's not lean, as good pastrami should not be lean. They cure and smoke their own meats at the Hitchcock Deli, and they know what they're doing. But then, a few days ago, I read that Hitchcock Deli now had a 3-7 PM daily Happy Hour( Monday-Friday), which features discounted beer and wine, fresh mussels, fresh oysters, as well as their home cured meats. So resistance is futile, and I could not resist writing about them any longer. Hitchcock is in Seattle's Georgetown neighborhood, a neighborhood that doesn't feel like it belongs in Seattle. It's old, industrial, artsy. Something you'd expect to see in Buffalo, or Pittsburgh. I like it. From an eater's and drinker's viewpoint, Georgetown has a lot going for it. Georgetown Brewing is located there, makers of the locally popular Manny's Pale Ale. Machine House Brewery is a few blocks away, located in part of the original Rainier Brewery. Ellenos Greek yogurt is in Georgetown, and is fantastic. There's a branch of Flying Squirrel Pizza, consistently great. The Corson Building has been getting great reviews for their food, but I've been too cheap or too broke to go there. Full Throttle Bottles sells an enormous variety of beer and wine. Fonda La Catrina serves authentic and delicious Mexican food. Georgetown Liquor is a bar with vegetarian food, with a good reputation. I'm leaving a lot out, for brevity's sake( sure). But Hitchcock Deli? I think they have the best sandwiches in Seattle. Other places have their devotees, and I've had great sandwiches elsewhere in Seattle. Just not as good as Hitchcock's. And yesterday we went for Happy Hour. Man was that good. The mussels were "off the hook" you could just taste the freshness, as were the oysters. I only like oysters if they're absolutely fresh, and for a buck and a half each at happy Hour, and being absolutely fresh, you can't go wrong. The only negative is that parking can be difficult. So park a few blocks away and walk. You'll benefit after stuffing your face there. Hitchcock Deli 6003 12th Ave S. Seattle, WA
The sandwich was made by me using Hitchcock pastrami. with cole slaw, swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting some old standbys

Soon to open restaurants in the Renton area

Flour, Sugar, and More