I'll take "fried noodles" for 200, Alex.


 I do like my fried noodles.  Whether it's Chow Mein, Chow Fun, Phad Thai, Filipino Pancit, Indonesian Mi Goreng,  Yakisoba,or Jap Chae, pictured above.  Jap Chae is a Korean stir-fried sweet potato cellophane noodle with vegetables and either meat, seafood, or tofu. Jap Chae might be my favorite of all of the stir fried noodle dishes. It's comfort food.   
A few years ago, Jap Chae could not be found in any restaurant in Renton. Now there are at least three places. 

Yummy Kitchen is on SW 43rd near Ikea, and is Korean and Hawaiian.

Exit 5  BBQ is on N 10th Place in the Landing.

And Pho Box is across the parking lot from the "downtown" Renton Fred Meyer, at 364 Renton Center Way.

Given the uncertain status of a lot of restaurants these days, I'm not certain if either Yummy Kitchen or Exit 5 are operating on reduced hours, but I think they're both open, and I know Pho Box is.

When Pho Box first opened a few years ago, it was a Vietnamese restaurant serving Vietnamese food. I went and was underwhelmed.  But I've been back a couple of times recently. 

Now it's owned by Korean-Americans, and they still serve Vietnamese food, but also serve a lot of Korean food.  That's where the picture of the Jap Chae is from.

With places closed for indoor dining for at least another three weeks, takeout is the name of the game, unless you want to sit in a heated tent. Whistle Stop Ale House, Santa Fe Mexican, and the Water's Table at the Hyatt Regency are all doing that. I dined at the Whistle Stop's tent, and it was fine, with a lot of ventilation.

But takeout is a different ballgame: One generally wants something fairly quickly. I suppose if you're ordering something elegant, you can't expect very fast service, but Pho Box was impressively fast and good. 

I also tried Sundubu there, which is a spicy tofu and seafood stew. Delicious, and full of clams, mussels, and shrimp. And not insanely spicy. I used to be able to handle insanely spicy, but not anymore. The Sundubu was pleasantly spicy. One can also get it with kimchee and no seafood. 

Anyway, if you can afford it, call in an order to go from your favorite restaurant, or try someplace new. Restaurants and restaurant workers are hurting, and could benefit from your business.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting some old standbys

Soon to open restaurants in the Renton area

You don't need to feel awful about falafel