Where's the best Mexican food in Renton?



First off, I have to brag that this blog is now featured on the Renton Chamber of Commerce's website.  Check it out at gorenton.com/visit/eat.  If you'd told me thirty years ago that I'd be hanging out with Chamber of Commerce types in the future, I'd call you nuts. But the Renton Chamber of Commerce is different. Grassroots. Nurturing and promoting the vitality of downtown Renton and other neighborhoods. A bunch of funny, creative people. So there! Go ahead, call me a corporate stooge! That out of the way, let's talk local Mexican food. I'm not going to tell you where I think the best Mexican food is in Renton. Because I don't know, and because my mood changes. But there are some worthy contenders. And what's best, anyway?
For me, the food has to be delicious. And even if it is delicious, it might not be the best if it takes a long time for me to get the food I ordered, or there's very long wait for a table, or the service is unfriendly and incompetent, or the prices are way too high. I'll pay a little too much once in a while quite happily, but value figures into the equation.  Yet some things are not subject to opinion. You can't tell me that the best Mexican food in Renton is at Taco Bell.

And although I like La Hacienda ( 811 S 3rd St, Renton), it's also not the best Mexican food in Renton. It's okay, and being a binational restaurant, they do have good Indian food there. And guacamole goes well with naan, as do tortilla chips and mint chutney. They also have good Mexican beer on tap, with low happy hour prices. And what goes better with curry than a Dos Equis? Not much.

So who are the contenders for best Mexican food in Renton? I visited Jaguar( 306 Williams Ave S., Renton), right next to the downtown post office,  a few days ago. Some people still know it by it's former name El Burrito Loco. It was formerly an order at the counter only taqueria , but they now have table service and a larger menu. They still have dollar tacos on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. It used to be connected by family to El Kiosko( 526 S. 2nd St, Renton), but I don't think it is anymore. Jaguar is a comfortable space, with good service, lots to choose from, good food, and low prices. The pictures above are the grilled fish filet on the left, and Camarones ala Crema on the right. They've got a nice salsa bar, and beers in bottles.

El Kiosko( 526 S 2nd) has it's fans, and I'm one of them. It's just east of Renton High School, and they're frequently busy. They're busy because they're good, and inexpensive. It's a small place, where orders are taken at the counter. There's no alcohol there, but you can get your order to go, and eat it at Four Generals Brewing( which makes, among other beers, the Rentoncito dark mexican lager).

Torero's (920 N 10th St, Renton) certainly has it's fans. I haven't been to Torero's in a while, but only because it's an extra five minutes away, parking can be a drag, and prices are a little higher. I used to patronize them much more frequently when they were near the Fred Meyer store on Rainier. But people I know and trust think Torero's is the shiznit, so I'll have to revisit soon. They make their own tortillas, or at least they used to, and that's a big plus.

Taqueria El Gym( formerly Yummy Juans)  900 S 3rd st) is consistent, competent, and very good.
Others claim El Taco Maestro to be the best(3172 NE Sunset Blvd, Renton). I ate there once a few years ago and liked it, but don't really remember much else.

I've had a few good meals at La Fuente (3221 NE Sunset, and 14400 SE Petrovitsky Rd), noted for their large portions.

 Santa Fe(1170 Sunset Blvd NE) does Mexican seafood dishes very well. There have been a couple of occasions where the wait was too long , so we left. But it's popular because it's good. Crowds are not necessarily an indication that a place is good. Sometimes people go to restaurants because they're crowded, assuming that the place must be good. When Yogi Berra was asked if he wanted to go to a particular restaurant, he replied " Nobody goes there any more, it's too popular."
And other restaurants serve great food, with great service and low prices, but are somehow lacking for customers.

I have heard great things about Tres Hermanos( 10707 SE Carr Rd), but haven't yet been there.

No doubt I'm missing people's favorites. And I'm happy to be living in a city with lots of choices for good Mexican food. Living in one of the most culturally diverse mid size cities in the US has it's advantages





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting some old standbys

Soon to open restaurants in the Renton area

You don't need to feel awful about falafel