Hot Sauce, Beer, and Portobello Sandwiches

 







 Five years ago, I appeared on KCTS TV's "Check Please Northwest" as a panelist.
Many months earlier, I had been watching the show, and at the end of the show, they expressed interest in having  viewers go on the show for one episode. All you had to do was suggest a restaurant for the panelists to all try , fill out some paperwork, and hope you got selected. I did! With three panelists, you had to try the other two panelists choices. And then get reimbursed for the food, which was really good at all three places. The host was Amy Pennington, who was perfect at the job. She absolutely insisted that the show would go better if we were loose, not tense, and comfortable talking. So we sat around and drank a lot of wine. Diane picked me up after the filming, and I just staggered out of there. But to make a short story long...
The restaurant that I suggested was St. Dames, a vegetarian restaurant near Seattle's Columbia City neighborhood , on the light rail line. I was not a vegetarian at the time, but absolutely adored the food there. So good! They made a very flavorful variety of hot sauces, which were on every table. And they did all their own baking, which was so fantastic! In house baked hoagie rolls? Pie? A full bar, with low priced happy hour local beer? Hello?
 Anyway, I suggested them to the show, and it got selected, and the other two panelists went and dined at St. Dames, and loved it.
One of the owners got ill, the place closed a few years ago, and it became but a distant memory. Until..
We were walking around the Renton Farmer's market a couple of weeks ago, and I hear a loud familiar voice " Hey you, come talk to me! I know you from St. Dames!" It was Amy, one of the owners of St. Dames, now selling hot sauces( that green stuff is dreamy) as well as a drinkable vinegar, at farmer's markets. She's also at the Mercer Island and Burien Farmer's Market. The business is called Hot Dames Sauce. If you're at any of those markets, go try the sauce.

Downtown Renton now has two breweries with taprooms. Dubtown Brewing just recently opened at 201 Main Avenue S, maybe two and a half blocks from Four Generals Brewing, 229 Wells Ave S.
I haven't been to Dubtown yet. But Four Generals, since they opened a few years ago, consistently produce a number of excellent beers, and the space they occupy is the original Renton City Hall, 1890's, or 00's? I always enjoy  myself being at Four Generals. It's a friendly place with great beer. Bring your kids. Bring your dog.
I don't think two breweries is too many.  Downtown Renton has been getting more dense, as has the whole Seattle area, practically. Density does have it's plusses. Like more demand for good beer and food.

The Landing, maybe a mile north of downtown Renton, will house a Korean BBQ restaurant in the very near future. Exit Five Korean BBQ will be opening at 911 N. 10th Pl in the Landing. I don't believe that Renton has a restaurant that refers to themselves as "Korean".  Renton is blessed with a nice variety of restaurants from everywhere, and now you won't have to go to Federal Way for Korean food. Federal Way has a couple of all you can eat Korean BBQ places. I don't think Exit Five will be, but I could be wrong. I'm sure the title has more to do with the nearest freeway exit than how many times you will have exited the buffet line with a full plate.

Up in nearby Skyway, the Beachcomber, 12623 Renton Avenue S., Seattle 98178, is open , after being closed for a few years. When you looked in the dictionary under "Dive Bar" , there should have been a photo of the Beachcomber.  But it's now all remodeled, under new ownership, and with a new menu. I have affection for the Beachcomber. They used to be owned by the Mike's Chili Parlor family in Ballard, and they had good bar food and cheap beers for decades. When I was on the West Hill council, there were some meetings I recall where there was an after meeting at the Beachcomber. It had a wonderfully diverse customer base. And while outside the doors of the place struck some people as dangerous( it really wasn't), inside the place was always chill and harmonious.
When remodeling, they uncovered a mural that was painted on the wall in the late 1940's or early 50's. They've restored the mural. The place is very cleaned up but not fancy at all. At the moment , they've got sandwiches, salads, and snacks, but hope to have burgers, fish and chips, and chicken soon.The mural's cool, and the place is less divey, but it can earn that in time.

A nod must be given to the Whistle Stop Ale House, 809 S. 4th St, Renton.
I've been going there for years, no matter what dietary lifestyle I was living. Years ago, when I was eating more meat, I absolutely loved the Verona Station, a half pound Angus beef burger with Gorgozola and smoked bacon. Juicy, messy, and absolutely delicious. it may have been one of the best burgers I've eaten.
Since I've been largely vegetarian the last year? or so, I've avoided burgers, but the Whistle Stop  makes a really great marinated Portobello sandwich, with roasted peppers and red onion. Just great. Plus they have a good selection of beer always, and always have a Four Generals product on tap.
They are more ambitious than just bar food,  they strive for something a little higher, and achieve it.

Comments


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting some old standbys

Soon to open restaurants in the Renton area

Flour, Sugar, and More