Gyros Pizza- It's a thing




When it comes to pizza, I'm an arch conservative. Quite the opposite of my politics, where, if I moved any further to the left, I'd fall off the edge. And also quite different from my tastes in other foods, where I'm curious to try new foods all the time. But pizza? I like what I like. And if I'm spending money, I'd never order a pizza that had a thick crust. Or something other than tomato sauce as a base. Or had pineapple and Canadian bacon as toppings. If it's your money, and you put a slice of a Canadian bacon and pineapple thick crusted pizza in front of me, I'll eat it, of course. I'm a glutton. I'll eat the whole thing and then complain about it. That's my style.
But I like what I like. And I'm an east coast pizza snob, even after thirty nine years of living in Seattle. The perfect crust is thin, but not super thin. It can't be too inundated with toppings or cheese. And the sauce has to be tomato.
So we were eating a couple of weeks ago at the new pizza place/Lebanese restaurant in Rainier Beach, Paranormal Pie. And they have a selection of Lebanese style pizza like things called Ma'anish.(They also have "normal" pizza, but I wanted to try their Ma'anish.) One of their Ma'anish is called the Greek Gyro. It does have red sauce and mozzarella, but it also has gyro meat, feta, red onion, green pepper, and tzatziki sauce, which is made from yogurt.  Had it. Liked it. I like pizza. I like gyros. How could you go wrong? And I didn't. It was good. I'm sure this style of pizza has been around, but I just never noticed.
Then a few days ago, we were back at Smoking Monkey Pizza in downtown Renton, which has two strong pluses going for it. It's really good, and it's close to home. They have a special on their blackboard for a pizza they call the Gyro Protagonist. I'd seen it on their special board before, but never ordered it, because it doesn't have a red sauce. But this time, it got ordered. Despite it's olive oil base. Rather than gyro meat, the Gyro Protagonist has meatballs, which are made in house and are just divine. It also has red onions, feta, provolone cheese, and tzatziki sauce.  And it was good. Yogurt is actually good on pizza, at least a drizzle of it as part of a tzatziki sauce. Would it have been better with a red sauce? You're asking me, so of course the answer is yes. But Smoking Monkey is one of those places with a consistently excellent pizza crust, so it doesn't absolutely need a red sauce. Wait a minute. Did I just say that?  What's come over me? Is that a thick crust pineapple and Canadian bacon pizza you're eating? Bring a slice over here, would you?

Comments


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting some old standbys

Soon to open restaurants in the Renton area

Flour, Sugar, and More