....And two more things.



I've discovered a new cheese. In my quest to stay healthy, I have to watch my salt intake. And, to my great dismay, most cheeses have a lot of salt. But this Middle Eastern cheese( made in California) has about 75% less salt than Cheddar or Swiss or Mozzarella, and is delightfully melty. Even though it's called " Sweet Cheese" it is not sweet, but is used as an ingredient in  sweet Middle Eastern desserts. I think it would be great on pizza. I found it at the DK Market, 720 Lind Ave SW, in the enchanted city of Renton. The DK remains my favorite place for grocery shopping. You can't find everything there, some things still need to be purchased at regular supermarkets like Freddy's, QFC, or Safeway. But the DK is great for fruit and vegetables, Middle Eastern, Indian, and Mexican cheeses, a zillion varieties of olive oil, Polish chocolate, baklava, Ethiopian flour, rice noodles, Indian toothpaste, etc. In addition to the great variety of foodstuffs sold in this cold( and cool) warehouse of a store, the variety of customers is also vast, and it just makes it fun to shop at.

Also, I'd been reading good things about Chilolo's Tacos, a food trailer at 1408 Bronson Way N, also in the enchanted city of Renton. All the reviews on Yelp, Facebook, and Google are extremely positive, but I'm ever skeptical. How can it be THAT good? Some places I've been to, I'm convinced that the owner's relatives and friends wrote all the reviews. But when it comes to taco trucks and trailers, even a mediocre taco from a taco truck is still going to be at least pretty good. So I figured it was worth a try.
Chilolo's Tacos is not mediocre. Indeed, they are astoundingly good, and inexpensive. They make their own tortillas and salsas. And they have mushroom quesadillas and tacos, in addition to more usual fare. Dee Licious! It's a fairly small menu, with tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and alambres the only things available. Really good guacamole and salsas too. A mushroom quesadilla on an in house made tortilla is a thing of beauty. It's all I've had there, so I can't comment on anything else on the menu. But you can just sort of tell when an owner cares about the quality of the product he's putting out. This guy cares.

Comments

  1. I share your enthusiasm for DK Market. Mostly to get pickled stuff from central Europe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting some old standbys

Soon to open restaurants in the Renton area

Flour, Sugar, and More