Where I get beer.

C'mon Freddy, don't you mean where you drink beer?

No. Because most of the time, when I drink beer, it's at home. But I am a big beer snob, and also a cheapskate.  And also lazy, which means I'm not going to drive half an hour to have a beer.
My general guideline, for either refilling my 64 oz beer growler, or to sit down and have a pint or a meal with it, is that it be within about ten minutes from home. So while there are some fantastic breweries and pubs in the Seattle area, if they're not within about ten minutes from home, I'll only go there if I happen to be nearby.
Anyway, where do I get beer?

If I'm refilling my 64 oz beer growler, it's sometimes at Jude's Old Town in Rainier Beach, Seattle(9252 57th Ave S. Seattle). Jude's has a small selection of well chosen beers that cost only 12 dollars to refill a growler, a great price for a tavern. Jude's also has great food, and comfortable atmosphere. And they have a "growler club", which means if you fill ten growlers(over time), the next one is a buck. I'm a member of this very elite club.

Sometimes I'll fill my growler at Odin Brewing in Tukwila(402 Baker Blvd, Tukwila ), a block and a half east of Southcenter mall. Ten dollar growler fills, but also a pleasant place to hang out and eat BBQ sandwiches. Odin's Gift is an amber ale made with juniper berries, and goes down really easy. Delicious stuff.

Breaking my rules a little, Georgetown Brewing in Seattle(5200 Denver Ave S., Seattle) is more like 15 minutes from home. Georgetown is the brewer of Seattle's most popular beer, Manny's Pale Ale, and many others. They don't have seating, or a pub, but they have 8 and 9 dollar growlers.

Four Generals Brewing(229 Wells Ave S., Renton) isn't open for business yet, scheduled to open next month. It will be the closest to home, so I'm looking forward to it, and there's zero chance I won't go there.

So that's where I get beer to drink at home. What if I'm going out? Usually, it's a beer with a meal, and around here, places with good beer and food are not in short supply. But I don't want to go too far, I'm a cheapskate, and an incredible beer snob.

Out for a beer? The above mentioned Jude's, and Odin Brewing, but downtown Renton also has some fine drinking establishments.

The Dog and Pony Alehouse(351 Park Ave N., Renton) is one of my haunts. A very large selection of beer on tap(30?), and reasonably priced, good tasting food, and a dog friendly outdoor dining area make this place appealing. Great fish and chips, fish tacos, and carnitas stand out. They often feature tiny local breweries.

Whistle Stop Ale House (809 S 4th St, Renton) has a slightly smaller beer selection, but is open for breakfast, is kid friendly, and is the home of the Verona Station burger, a ridiculously delicious half pound Gorgonzola and bacon burger.

Local 907, 907 S. 3rd St has a good selection of beer, friendly service, and reasonably priced food.

Brewers East is scheduled to open in downtown Renton in the former Denny's, at Rainier Avenue and S. 2nd St. , featuring craft beer and food.

Sometimes, I'm more food focused, and will head to the Red House, 410 Burnett Ave S in downtown Renton. The place has incredible food, and is a comfortable place to hang out.  They always have good beer on tap as well. Great place to celebrate a birthday.

In Renton Highlands, The Brick Pub and Grill(1190 Sunset Blvd NE, Renton) has a good selection of beer and upscale pub food.

Sometimes, I'll drink beer with my dinner, but it's not the primary reason for the visit. I'm looking for value and good food. Shuga's Jazz Bistro(317 Main Ave S, Renton.)  has great food and a great happy hour, but not a huge beer selection.

I go to Smoking Monkey(613 S. 3rd St, Renton) for their excellent pizza, and will always have a beer with the pizza, but if beer is my main focus, I'll go elsewhere. But often my craving for pizza is stronger than my beer craving. They always have something good on tap.

So what am I missing?



Comments


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting some old standbys

Soon to open restaurants in the Renton area

Flour, Sugar, and More