Are you eating your aronias?

You've seen aronia berries but haven't given them any thought, right? They grow on big bushes,often wild, and they're very tart if you eat them right off the bush. But if you cook them? And add sugar? Yum.
We planted a couple of small aronia bushes a few years ago, mostly for their decorative and screening value. Didn't really think about eating them, especially after tasting one off the vine. But this year? They're so prolific. The branches are just teeming with these berries that look something like a purplish blueberry. I looked up recipes. We made aronia berry pie.
We made cookies:
I will shortly be making some aronia berry liqueur. They are also the highest source of antioxidants of any berry, even significantly higher than the superfood blueberry. That aronia liqueur I'll be drinking? It's for my health. I've read that they were a part of the regular diet of Native Americans hundreds of years ago, and that they grow prolifically in Wales, and in the midwest. Let me tell you, they also grow like crazy in the Seattle area. We bought the plants from the Raintree Nursery, but they're sold in a lot of places. They're also called chokeberries. Easy to grow. They thrive on neglect. If you stumble across one in a nursery, buy it and plant it.

Comments

  1. What do Aronia berries look like? Do they grow wild around here? When you make the liquer will you let your neighbors of 3-4 blocks away have a taste? Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting some old standbys

Soon to open restaurants in the Renton area

Flour, Sugar, and More