Flour, Sugar, and More

Flour, Sugar, and More From 2006 to about 2011/2012 I used to write about food fairly regularly on a blog called " A Displaced Hipster's Guide to Renton". It wasn't my blog. I sort of inherited it from my neighbor. The subheading was something like " My wife and I moved from Seattle to this noncultured backwater about twelve miles southeast called Renton, and this is how we survive." That was never the way I felt. We were coming down to Renton to eat at Gene's Ristorante years before we moved there, and I've always liked Renton. It never felt like a noncultured backwater to me, but maybe that has more to do with my being a noncultured slob myself. In any event, I reviewed a lot of Renton restaurants. And I still want to do that, but I want to do more. I also like to cook. I like to garden, and grow things to eat. And I don't limit every meal I eat to Renton. Food tastes good in other places too. Food obsessed. Moi? I'll get on to cooking and gardening soon. But let's get Renton restaurant stuff out of the way. There have been some good places opening up since I stopped posting. One place that opened a few months ago is the Flour, Sugar, and More Bakery in the Renton Highlands, 2830 Sunset Ln NE, Renton 425-336-0960 www.facebook.com/floursugarandmore. It's incongruous. It's a damn fine artisan bakery, behind the Viet Wah grocery, next to the Tea Palace Chinese restaurant, near the Thai on Highlands restaurant. It's in a strip mall with primarily Asian businesses, occupying a space that was formerly a Vietnamese bun bakery. Now it's a mostly French bakery, owned by Mexicans who also bake things like bolillos and Huitlacoche( Corn fungus) bread, and all kinds of sweet and savory pastries, and bagels, and Challah. Tarts, and cookies, and strudel. Bleu cheese bread. Baguettes. Ciabatta. They make their own chocolate. The place totally rocks. Today they had an Artisan bread tasting with home made spreads, including bagels with chipotle cream cheese, and Ciabatta with a parsley lemon pesto. I've enjoyed living in Renton. But one thing there wasn't was a great bakery. There is now. Go there.

Comments

  1. OMG! How did you get out of our dungeon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One gets a taste for carbs after escaping from a dungeon.

      Delete
  2. OMG! That place is a 7 minute walk from our house--we'll visit soon! I didn't know you could get huitlacoche (spelled thusly) anywhere here. I've never seen it in any of the tiendas latinas. I haven't had any since '97, in Guadalajara. Thanks for the tip about your new blog. I'm blogging intermittently these days at http://wordswordswords.info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for you review! We're glad that you've enjoyed our bread and pastries as much as we have making them.

    Verla, we bring our huitlacoche (canned) from Mexico; we haven't yet found a local source. Come to the bakery and you can taste our Chipotle Huitlacoche bread.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting some old standbys

Soon to open restaurants in the Renton area