Mystery plant, Food Innovation Network, Mexican weekend buffet, and Chantrelle mushrooms

Today's post starts with a quiz. The flowering plant above is something I grew in my garden. The photo was taken September 7th. What is it?
A. Marijuana
B. Opium Poppy
C. Okra
D. Tomatillo
I'll reveal the answer at the end of the post.
*************************************************************

Boon Boona Coffee is hosting some pop up fundraiser lunches for the Food Innovation Network as they try to obtain commercial kitchen space for budding entrepreneurs who need mentorship, guidance, funding, etc. They are raising money to develop the Tukwila Food hall( and I'm jealous that it won't be in Renton.) Nonetheless, it's already started, and on October 4th, they'll be featuring the food of the Congo, on October 18th Kenyan food, on November 1st Soul Food, on November 15th Kurdish, on December 6th Mexican, and on December 20th different Kenyan food.  It's from 11 AM-1PM. You can buy tickets in advance or just show up at Boon Boona, 724 S. 3rd St, Renton. The lunches are fifteen dollars, and the money is going to a good cause.
*********************************************************************
Last Sunday I went with my son and grandkids to Mazatlan( 540 Rainier Ave S) for their weekend buffet, served from 11-3. I saw their ads on Facebook( in Spanish), and it looked good. But I'd eaten at Mazatlan years ago and was underwhelmed then. Well, apparently they are  independently owned now, and not part of the Mazatlan chain. And you know what? The buffet was really good! It featured Enchiladas, chiliquiles, fried fish, ceviche, chile rellenos, salads, fruits, etc. I was surprised and impressed.
****************************************************************************
The DK Market ( 720 Lind Avenue SW, Re'en) currently has  fresh Chantrelle mushrooms on sale for the unheard of price of 5.99 per pound. They're meaty and delicious. I was recently at a farmer's market( not Renton's), and saw Chantrelle's for seventeen dollars per pound, so why not save two thirds and get them at the DK, which is an always fun store to shop at.
*********************************************************************************
And finally, the answer to the quiz is C. , Okra. Duh! What do you take me for? A scofflaw?
People don't think of the Seattle area as a place that grows okra, but my plants produced prolifically, and I've grown them successfully before. And believe me, it's not my green thumb, or magic fertilizer or anything. A lot of people don't like okra, and think of it as slimy.  Maybe slime has a bad rap, forever ruined by it's association with politicians.  But anyway, okra is good. And healthy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting some old standbys

Soon to open restaurants in the Renton area

Flour, Sugar, and More