A Tale of Two Bakeries

When I was a kid, I hated sweets. My mother would offer me a piece of candy, and I would ask if I could have a few slices of cucumber instead. People don't believe me when I tell them this, but it's true. And, maybe coincidentally, I've only had three cavities my entire life( and I'm old!)

But, alack and alas, over the decades , unfortunately, I've developed a taste for sweets. I still don't like candy, or cake, or macarons, or anything with icing or frosting on it. But cookies, pie, cinnamon rolls, baklava,strudel,  tarts, etc, bring it on! Except nowadays, for health reasons, I'm mostly supposed to avoid sweets, which I mostly do.
Anyway, to make a short story long, we were on our way back from walking the dog in Seward Park, and saw the Beach Bakery, at 7820 Rainier Ave S.Seattle  206-721-2225. I'd heard good things about it, but I was skeptical, because some people who like sweets like any kind of puffy white flour/white sugar sweet thing, and there are lots of well liked bakeries that don't appeal to me. Anyway, Beach Bakery is not one of those places. Diane had the gluten free coconut pineapple muffin, which was moist and delicious. and I had the tahini bar, which was incredible. A cookie like bottom, then a halvah like layer, then topped with dark chocolate, then topped with pistachio nuts. The thing was insanely good. Beach Bakery has been there less than two years. My only disappointment is that they don't bake any breads( breads being another one of my downfalls), but I'll be back for another tahini bar. The building they're in is new, replacing the old Colonial Pancake House, so if business is good, they may be around for a long time.


Things are a little less certain for another one of my favorite bakeries, The Flour, Sugar, and More Bakery, 2830 Sunset LN NE, Renton 425-336-0960.
Flour, Sugar, and More sells pies, cookies, cakes, breads, croissants, baguettes, bagels, challah, specializing in French and Mexican baking. There are several kinds of Mexican chocolate for hot cocoa available, and they have Full Tilt ice cream. The people who run it are exceptionally nice, and they have developed a loyal following in the four years they have owned it.
However, the entire shopping center they are in has been sold, and it is supposed to be torn down to be replaced with an apartment community. Which leaves Flour, sugar, and More in a quandary. They've had favorable rents, being in a less visible part of the shopping center, so if they find another place to move into, rents might be significantly increased. And moving big bakery equipment is no easy task. In my dream world, they'd relocate to downtown Renton, as every downtown worth their salt( their sugar?) has a good bakery.  If you know of a reasonably placed space that could serve as a bakery, let them know!

Comments


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting some old standbys

Soon to open restaurants in the Renton area

Flour, Sugar, and More